Sunday, December 13, 2009

Where It All Began

 

This is a photo of me sporting an afro back in my very early days of radio in 1975 at the college radio station where it all started for me... WKCR-89.9FM - Columbia University in NYC.

Those were fun times back then, and the radio station was right in the middle of all the action. One fond memory was a benefit concert we organized for the radio station (we were non-profit) that featured some of the greatest Latin performers of all time. Machito and His Afro-Cuban Orchestra... Ruben Blades... Ricardo Marrero & The Group with Dave Valentin on flute... Ray Barretto and His orchestra... and a long list of others who stood behind us, and donated their immense talents so that we could do what we loved doing - - - bring the music to the people of New York. It is a wonderful memory I will cherish all the rest of my days on this planet.

Share/Bookmark


0 comments: